Two weeks ago, I made a quick trip via airplane. And via a mask.
I made a few observations about masks while I was traveling between airports.
- In the airport, everyone was wearing a mask without question. It made me wonder if you have money on the line (as in your purchased plane tickets), are you more compliant with mask wear?
- Those who don’t want to wear the mask continuously drink and eat in public. This made me wonder if we’ll survive COVID to find out that we are a more obese country as a result.
- Masks seem to make it extremely hard to hear in the airplane.
- The creativity of mask marketing is CRAZY! I saw flags, businesses, NFL teams, BLM, Disney…you name it and there was a mask for it.
- There is truth in the phrase that “you smile with your eyes”…and you can truly see that when a mask covers the actual smile.
- Chewing peppermint gum with a mask causes minty breath to shoot straight up into one’s eyes…which in turn causes some eye-watering.
Despite my observations on mask-wear at the airport, I know that the topic of wearing a mask is contentious. There are groups who are pro-mask wear and groups who are anti-mask wear. There are various compelling arguments on both sides of this topic.
The division over masks got me thinking about if there were to be a Federal mandate for masks. Would we still be so divided over it? How would Christians react to a Federal law requiring masks in public?
Romans 13:1-2 (NASB) says, “Every person is to be in subjection to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God and those which exist are established by God. Therefore, whoever resists authority has opposed the ordinance of God; and they who have opposed will receive condemnation themselves.”
When looking at this verse, I know I should adhere to the law, whether I agree with the law or not, in a way that would please our Lord. We are so incredibly blessed to live in a nation that allows us the freedom to disagree and discuss. It’s a blessing to know that if we disagree with a law we are able to exercise the power of the pen and the power of the vote.
We have the responsibility to follow the law. In addition to responsibility, we also have the right to assist with changing laws to align more closely with our Christian beliefs. Let’s each keep that in mind as we vote in the coming weeks…and as we decide about where we stand on our mask-wearing compliance.
One thought on “Airport COVID Masks”
We should the laws of our countries, if they do not go against the last of God, whether we personally agree or not, we are reminded of this when the Bible tells us to pray for those in authority
LikeLiked by 1 person